OR SCHEDULE TIME WITH BARB BELOW
Finding Your Home
When you’re ready to start searching for homes, make a list of the features you want. Decide what part of town you want to live in. Pay attention to what you want, compared to what you need. If you work with a real estate professional this will help them narrow the search to find homes for you to look at quicker.
What type of neighborhood feels right?
The right neighborhood is as important as the right house. When choosing a neighborhood, be sure to consider:
- Travel time and distance to work
- Is it close to areas of town important to you and your family?
- If you have children, is it in a good school district?
- Does the neighborhood offer the amenities important to you like shopping, recreation and other services?
- Are the other houses clean and well maintained?
What type of home do I want to live in?
Are you looking for a single-family home, a condominium or a townhouse? Even these very different types of homes will have wide variety of options when it comes to space and design. Maintenance requirements are also different depending on a home’s age and style.
What features are most important me and my family?
Things like paint or new carpet are easily changed before or after you move in. Look for features that are already part of the home’s construction and design. Think about:
- Would you like a two-story or single story home?
- How many bedrooms will you need today, and in the future?
- What’s the fewest number of bathrooms you can’t live without?
- Do you need a home office, does it matter where it’s located?
- What’s more important, a backyard for running around, or a small outdoor area to relax?